Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Inagural News from the front....

Hello and welcome to my first post….I am calling myself the Urbane Suburbanite because I did grow up and now live in the suburbs ( Fairfield County) , but I spent 12 years living in Manhattan… and now my friends/ relatives in the ‘burbs think I am sooo citified in my sensibilities and talk too fast… but my city friends think I am a country hick from the boonies of Connecticut!? 
..So I am stuck in the middle…a hybrid or an Urbane Suburbanite.  As such, there are things I want to share because when I tell my friends these info goodies they always appreciate them.  So here goes, this week:
Latest iPhone have-to-have App:  Are you a broadway theatre buff and count on getting your tickets from the TKTS booth?  Well, now you don’t have to rush into the city to see what’s on the board at all 3 of their locations. There’s an App for that! 

It’s called TKTS at the iPhone App store and it gives real time access to what tickets are available for what % discount at their 3 locations…
One drawback: you can’t purchase the tickets online but you can see them here 30 minutes before the booth opens…and it’s FREE  

Must see Movie:  Race to Nowhere”-the pressure to excel in high school to get into to a "good” college,  to get a “good” job is  The Race to Nowhere  and the message is: it needs to  change and slow down.

This documentary is timely, relevant, and well done with real life examples from across the country about the current state of our education systems and how it affects kids---the stress and pressure has physical effects on kids , the teachers and administrators are frustrated, and the parents  are looking for innovative ways to change the established approaches to education.

This film was created and directed by a concerned parent turned filmmaker, Vicki Abeles. For more information and a screening near you check out the website:

These are just a few bytes. Many more to come. Stay tuned….

And finally:
If you live in the ’burbs: Have a nice day!
If you live in the city: Have a nice day!  response: Are you talking to me? (with a heavy sarcastic tone)

Yours truly,
( keep those ideas and comments coming...)

1 comment:

  1. This describes you perfectly and all I can say is it's about time. I LOVE IT! Can't wait for the next post.

    ReplyDelete